Saturday, September 28, 2019

Can Anyone Still Believe that “Russia, if you’re listening . . .” Was a Joke



Some people in Congress and in the media had the temerity to suggest that it might be an invitation to a hostile foreign power to interfere in the 2016 election to implore, “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”  The president defended himself by explaining that he said it as a joke. “Of course I was being sarcastic.” (Interview on Fox and Friends.); "[I]n jest and sarcastically, as was apparent to any objective observer." (Written answers to Mueller questions.)  At a campaign rally he made fun of the media for not realizing, that it was all a joke.

In a post of June 9 this year, I examined Trump’s defense and the “in jest” defense to solicitation charges more generally. I was skeptical. Subsequent developments, including the recent dramatic developments seem to confirm that skepticism was not amiss.


On June 12, 2019, when asked by George Stephanopoulos what he would do if a foreign power offered information on an opponent, Trump replied, “There’s nothing wrong with listening. If somebody called from a country [such as] Norway, [saying] we have information on your opponent. Oh, I think I’d want to hear it. It’s not an interference. They have information. I think I’d take it.”

Memorandum of the telephone conversation between Trump and the President of the Ukraine on July 25, 2019: 

The President:  . . . [W]e do a lot for Ukraine. We spend a lot of effort and a lot of time. Much more than the European countries are doing  . . .[T]the United States has been very very good to Ukraine. I wouldn't say that it's reciprocal necessarily because things are happening that are not good but the United States has been very very good to Ukraine.
President Zelenskyy [sic]:  . . . I'm very grateful to you for that because the United States is doing quite a lot for Ukraine. . .  I would also like to thank you for your great support in the area of defense. We are ready to continue to cooperate for the next steps specifically we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defense purposes.  [The purchase of which was awaiting aid funds that Trump had put on hold, although this was not touched on in the memorandum.]
T: I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine, they say Crowdstrike.... I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it. As you saw yesterday, that whole nonsense ended with a very poor performance by a man named Robert Mueller, an incompetent performance, but they say a lot of it started with Ukraine. Whatever you can do, it's very important that you do it, if that's possible.
Z: Yes it is very important for me and everything that you just mentioned earlier. . .. I will personally tell you that one of my assistants spoke with Mr. Giuliani just recently and we are hoping very much that Mr. Giuliani will be able to travel to Ukraine and we will meet once he comes to Ukraine. I just wanted to assure you once again that you have nobody but friends around us. . . I also wanted to tell you that we are friends. We are great friends and you Mr. President have friends in our country . . .
T: Good because I heard you had a prosecutor who was very good and he was shut down and that's really unfair. A lot of people are talking about that, the way they shut your very good prosecutor down and you had some very bad people involved. Mr. Giuliani is a highly respected man. . . . . I will ask him to call you along with the Attorney General. Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very capable guy. If you could speak to him that would be great. . . .. The other thing, there's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great. Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it... It sounds horrible to me.
Z: I wanted to tell you about the prosecutor. First of all, I understand and I'm knowledgeable about the situation. Since we have won the absolute majority in our Parliament, the next prosecutor general will be 100% my person, my candidate. . . He or she will look into the situation, specifically to the company that you mentioned in this issue. 
* * *
Z:  . . . last time I traveled to the United States, . . . I stayed at the Trump Tower. I will talk to them and I hope to see them again in the future . . ., I also want to ensure you that we will be very serious about the case and will work on the investigation. . .
T: Good. Well, thank you very much and I appreciate that. I will tell Rudy and Attorney General Barr to call . . .

Crowdstrike is a cybersecurity firm that examined the DNC servers and their hacking, concluded that the Russians were behind the hacking, and gave all the data it recovered from the servers to the FBI. Crowdstrike also did work for the RNC. There is now a conspiracy theory of the right fringe that Crowdstrike wrongly fingered the Russians and that a DNC server is to be found in Ukraine. If the conspiracy theory were correct, then an investigation of the server and the Ukranian connection would show the innocence of the Russians and confirm that the Democrats hacked themselves. Giuliani has stated that he had conversations with Trump about this general issue.

So Trump asked Zelensky to talk with Barr and Giuliani, and have his 100% loyal investigator trace through the Ukrainian connection to Crowdstrike. That Trump hopes the Ukrainian prosecutor will help discredit the “nonsense” of the Mueller Investigation is patent.
In addition Trump pressed for an investigation of Biden son and father.  Neither Zelensky nor anyone else could doubt that he was hoping for Ukrainian confirmation that what Biden did was “horrible.” 

Trump, who long ago officially opened his campaign, is not just listening to dirt gathered by, say Norway, but is soliciting the collection of dirt on an electoral opponent from a foreign government.  Had we not Trump’s solemn assurance that he was only joking back in 2016 when he requested such help from the Russians, it would almost be enough to cause one to doubt him. It just looks so much like a pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment